flying through life with my hair on fire...i am a planet called mom, with four moons in my orbit.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Heavy Reading



I love books. To me, they're sensual beings, full of possibility. Remember High Fidelity and Rob's obsession with his record collection? I have a similar attitude toward books (perhaps I should try ordering them autobiographically). There are books piled on a bureau near my closet, hidden away in a cupboard (which makes them even more full of possibility since they're not always visible), on two bookcases in the bedroom, along one wall in our home office, and tucked away in the shed. I even keep books I know I'll never read, including old textbooks.
I no longer carry a bag full of books with me everywhere I go. My kids cured me of that habit, although I did trade the weight of books on my shoulder for that of a child on my hip. But I still have at least one book tucked in my purse or computer bag. Right now, that book is Sula, by Toni Morrison. She writes like a dream and achieves that important and elusive goal of writing--to communicate the ordinary in an extraordinary way.
The picture above is the stack of books, Sula included, that is on my reading list for a class I'm taking at the community college. We've already read Winesburg Ohio and Mrs. Dalloway. I'm halfway through Middlesex and it's phenomenal. Anyone who is so inclined to post a list of their favorite books in comments, please do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home